A nutritionally rich food that provides vitality to the body is referred as super food. It may range between berries, seeds or grains. Besides, super foods strengthen immune system, protect heart, fights and removes free radicals, preserves youthfulness and improves metabolism. As per Mintel’s 2017 global food and drink report, plant based diet will rule this year with a staggering growth of 360% of veganism in last few years. These super foods have gained immense popularity of late. Health freaks are getting more and more conscious to incorporate these foods into their diet chart.
The choices are galore when it comes to foods and supplements, specially designed for health enthusiasts. However, few of them are over-hyped as well. For example, kale, a much talked-about super food. Its antioxidant content is somewhere around 1,770 per 100 grams. It’s good but not something to get too excited. Contrariwise, red leaf lettuce has antioxidant content 2,426 per 100 grams. How much we really get to hear about it? Keeping that in mind, today we’ll talk about 10 super foods with balanced antioxidant content ideal to be considered in 2017:
- Quinoa: This whole grain is a superb power house for health conscious individuals! It’s rich in protein, fibre and carbohydrate and has all the vital amino acids our body requires. Quinoa is also known for its anti-inflammatory benefits. Declared as one of the healthiest foods in the world in 2013, Quinoa helps in rebuilding lean muscles and post workout strain completely. Sports health experts suggest having quinoa in breakfast or lunch.
- Avocado oil: Extensively used in smoothies, salads and dips, avocado oil is stashed with vitamin E, lutein and carotenoids which leave a glowing skin to the ones who consume it on a regular basis. To quote Fiona Tuck, nutritional medicine practitioner and an accredited member of the Australian Traditional Medicine Society, ‘’ The wonder oil also boasts high levels of monounsaturated fatty acids, which reduces damaging levels of inflammation in the body and helps to protect against heart disease, dementia and stroke. She also says “plus it can be applied topically as daily moisturizer for soft, supple skin.’’
- Beetroot: Beetroot has high nitrate content and an awesome super food for contestants. Beetroot consumption increases blood, oxygen and energy flow in your body. As it causes optimal relaxation of blood vessels, daily consumption of beetroot helps in heart and muscle function with recovery benefits.
- Turmeric: A much talked-about spice in 2016, turmeric is jam-packed with health property called ‘curcumin’ that work as a wondrous anti-inflammatory agent and other health benefits. Declared as a super food ingredient in 2016, turmeric is great for treating different neurodegenerative disorders like Parkinson’s Alzheimer’s etc. It also provides excellent health benefits once mixed with chocolate milk, sports drinks and flavored almonds in recovering various bodily ailments of sports people and fitness freaks.
- Chia seeds: It’s loaded with fibre, antioxidant, calcium, protein and iron. This nutrient dense healthy eat also has omega-3 fatty acid and keeps your body hydrated all day long. Also chia seeds preserve the moisture of your body and helps in effective absorption of nutrients.
- Oatmeal: This super food is specially suggested for the sprinters and runners. It’s high in complex carbohydrate, fibre, protein, minerals, vitamin B and antioxidants. Regular consumption helps in balancing the cholesterol level of your body and supplies continuous energy to the blood vessels. Hence athletes are advised to include oatmeal in their diet.
- Cherries: The wonder fruit especially recommended for runners, cherries are full of antioxidant and comes with a wide array of health benefits. Regular consumption of cherry juice twice a day can eliminate muscle ache, enhance the performance, recuperate muscle related problems and provides natural anti-inflammatory components to the body. Tart cherries are rich in anthocyanins and flavanoids. It’s an excellent post exercise recovery drink for athletes, gym goers and anyone who’s does strenuous exercise.
- Salmon: It’s a must-have for performers and sportspersons. This oily fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acid and lean protein. Salmon prevents muscle inflammation and health experts advices to consume sea food twice a week to utilize its benefit.
- Eggs: One of the best lean muscle foods, egg white is absolutely a must-include for the people looking forward to build ripped lean muscles. As they are low in fat yet high in protein, eggs are excellent muscle food to enlist in one’s diet chart as a recent study shows their rich concentration of vitamin B 12 which helps in fat breakdown and muscle energy.
- Indian Gooseberries: Known to be packed-out with antioxidants than one cannot find in acai, Indian Gooseberries is one of those super foods which is not given that importance and should be a part of the diet of anyone willing to improve one’s health condition. It has 17 times more antioxidant than pomegranate. Rich in vitamin C, Indian gooseberry boosts immunity, metabolism and safeguard various viral infections. In addition, it reduces cholesterol, diabetes, enhances RBC counts, and helps in eradicating mouth ulcers as well.
Intense strength training, muscle building and other exhaustive exercises which an athlete has to undergo, an adequate muscle recovery time is important. A healthy balanced diet rich in protein, body hydration and glycogen repletion are recommended for sports fanatics and health freaks. Vitamin supplements and drinking a carbohydrate and protein rich smoothie are equally essential for healthy lifestyle and people who undergo intense training.
Are you into body building and improving overall fitness and stamina? What’s your take on this?