If we look back to the 19th century Great Britain, upper class newlyweds with family and friends used to take ‘bridal tours’ to the houses of distant family members post wedding. This is how it all started. The practice of spending cozy moments together, young couples trying to know each other in a better way or honeymooning is now a common practice.
If you cannot go for honeymoon beyond India, I can assure you that you don’t have to settle for anything less! Let me tell you this: India is one of the most sought after honeymoon destinations in the world with diverse geographical topographies depending on your taste and preferences. You have everything, starting right from the gorgeous beaches, charming deserts, exotic hill resorts, architectural marvels to the lush green pastures down south. You have every good reason to get enamored as each destination provides unique experiences!
With so many gorgeous and romantic getaways that India has to offer, it’s pretty obvious for a couple to get confused! If that is the case, don’t fret and check the list below. I have done a mishmash of 10 well-known and offbeat honeymoon destinations that are sure to kick your wanderlust!
- Khajjiar: A pristine hill-station in Chamba district of Himachal, Khajjiar is often referred to as the ‘Switzerland of India’! Dotted with verdant valleys, picturesque lakes and thick foliage, Khajjiar is bestowed with striking landscape making every honeymooner soak in the timeless beauty of its surroundings!
What to enjoy: Khajjinag temple, exploring the Dauladhar Mountain and the picture postcard Khajjiar Lake are the prime attractions of his quaint location. Besides, adventure freak couples can explore trekking to Chamba and Kalatop wildlife sanctuary. For the young adrenaline junkies out there, don’t forget to try Zorbing, a famous recreational activity of this region.
Honeymoon Duration: 2 to 3 nights
Best time for Honeymooners: March till October
- Shillong: Shillong can serve as ultimate romantic setting for honeymooners! The capital, gorgeous hill station and the largest town of Meghalaya, Shillong is popularly known as “Scotland of the East’’! The colonial era charm of Shillong never fails to beguile its visitors! One of the ideal romantic hideouts, Shillong is famed for its rolling hills, exotic weather and stunning sceneries. Also known as the ‘’abode of clouds’’, Shillong is equally famed for many naturally beautiful caves.
What to enjoy: Couples can walk the pine forests and enjoy the breathtaking beauty of the waterfalls. If you guys are bit adventurous, you can explore trekking and caving together. Otherwise, shopping, interesting night life, mouthwatering food and lovely local culture and tradition of Shillong make it a coupling hotspot!
Honeymoon duration: 4 to 5 days
Best Time for Honeymooners: Throughout the year
- Andamans: Andamans offer a comforting romance for the newlyweds! The silver sands, sun kissed beaches, thick forest, secluded islands, rich flora and fauna, colorful coral reef and exquisite landscape make Andamans a bewitching beauty for young love birds! Surrounded by waters, Andamans helps to create timeless memories for any honeymooner!
What to enjoy: Visiting many unspoilt beaches, historic museums and places, enjoying the marine life, witnessing the spectacular sunsets and indulging in exotic dinner. Active couples can take part in adventure sports like snorkeling, scuba diving and lots more for adrenaline rush!
Honeymoon Duration: 6 to 15 days
Best Time for Honeymooners: October till May
- Orchha: Orchha presents a quiet and serene style honeymoon. Discover the “hidden place’’ of Madhya Pradesh as its name signifies! Ideal for couples who want their love to grow amidst a rich slice of Indian history, Orchha was founded in 16th It’s a pretty remote destination as you won’t find this place in most tourist maps. It’s best if you can club it together with Jhansi and Khajuraho.
What to enjoy: Visiting the Orchha fort complex, Raj Mahal, Jahangir Mahal, Ram Raja Temple, Chaturbhuj temple and other remarkable structures and close interaction with river rafting are the main attractions of Orchha!
Honeymoon Duration: 4 to 5 days
Best Time for Honeymooners: October till March
- Tawang Valley: Tawang offers loads of solitude to the honeymooners for the love to blossom! Tawang valley in Arunachal Pradesh is a less travelled honeymoon destination in India. If both of you are high on adrenaline, Tawang can be a perfect getaway! Forget-me-not blue sky, magical autumn, snow clad mountains and abundant cosmos flowers add extra charm to this place!
What to enjoy: Visiting the beautiful monasteries together, exploring the Indo-China border, indulging in trekking, rafting and helicopter ride with your better half can bestow you unforgettable experiences!
Honeymoon Duration: Maximum 7 days
Best Time for Honeymooners: March till October
- Auli: Auli presents a frosty honeymoon for all the hot-blooded married couples out there! Located in Uttaranchal, Auli is a ‘Holy Grail’ for the ski lovers. Snow covered mountains, stunning hills dotted with pines, Auli is an idyllic place to fall in love once again!
What to enjoy: Skiing, travelling in cable cars, watching abundant snow in each other’s arms and hiking are the main attractions that allure honeymooners from every quarter!
Honeymoon Duration: 3 to 4 days
Best Time for Honeymooners: October till July
If your budget is little bit on the higher side, these two locations close to India can be considered:
- Maldives: The white sand beaches, warm waters of the Indian Ocean, welcoming locals, exotic food and wine, breathtaking underwater romance and visiting and exploring all the exquisite attractions and activities make Maldives a place with flawless beauty and its intimate setting is just tailor-made for the love birds to fall in love all over again!
What to enjoy: Spending each romantic night in different islands, cruising together, enjoying a ride in Dhoni (coconut palm cruise), splurging some time in couple spas, visiting the glowing beaches, exploring marine life, indulging in fishing trips, getting an aerial view of the place from sea plane adventure, spending some cozy moments in Mirihi Island and Cocoa Island Resort and many exciting stuffs to pamper your partner with complete lavishness!
Honeymoon Duration: 3 to 4 nights
Best time for Honeymooners: From December till April
- Seychelles: An archipelago of 115 islands, Seychelles or Republic of Seychelles is based in the Indian Ocean and famed for its talcum-powder beaches. A perfect escape for the newlyweds, Seychelles is a honeymoon destination that can make the start of a new life an experience to cherish forever! Relaxed comfort, not over the top touristic, bit offbeat with complete enjoyment of privacy make Seychelles a top choice for many couples worldwide!
What to enjoy: Besides beaches, couples can take part in various action packed adventures like snorkeling, game fishing, sunset cruise, fly fishing, scuba diving, etc. In addition to all these, couples can bond over rejuvenating spa sessions, intimate candlelight dining facilities with sparkling wine, private lodges secluded from the rest at Alphanso Island to enjoy that absolute intimacy and freedom, excursions, undisturbed beach walks, completely safe and stress free environment and other exquisite moments making honeymoon truly unforgettable!
Honeymoon Duration: 3 to 4 nights
Best time for Honeymooners: April May, October and November
So now once you are done with the rituals and formalities of your nuptial knot, plan your exquisite honeymoon in any of the aforesaid romantic destinations and create a memorable trip with loads of lovey dovey memories with your beloved!
More to come in next post…