Inability to fall asleep in spite of being tired is medically termed as insomnia. This sleeping disorder causes immense physical and emotional loss to a person. It is characterized by conditions like:
- Struggling to get a peaceful sleep in spite of being dog tired.
- After sleeping for a while, waking up and not being able to sleep anymore
- Getting up frequently at night
- Depending heavily on sleeping pills and alcohols to fall asleep
- Facing trouble concentrating
- Feeling drowsiness, fatigue and becoming irritant
- Getting up too early
One of the root causes of insomnia is stress. People working under extensive stressful situations can suffer from insomnia. It simply gets tough for a stressful person to fall asleep. Excessive stress causes hyperarousal which in turn hampers the balance between sleep and sleeplessness. Prolonged depression can cause insomnia. Psychological illnesses like bipolar disorder and post-traumatic disorders can also cause insomnia – be it mild or chronic.
Wondering how to cure insomnia if you are suffering from any of the above physiological conditions? Start paying attention to your periods of relaxation by setting your bedtime and wake up time at par with the amount of sleep you are getting at present. Also before going to bed, spend some time unwinding yourself by reading your favorite story book or listening to light music. It creates a ‘buffer zone’ for an insomniac wherein the mind starts getting calm and relaxed.
If you are taking antidepressants, pain killers containing caffeine, thyroid or high blood pressure medications for long, you might develop insomnia. Some of these sure shot measures below can tell you how to cure insomnia:
- Do over your bedroom. Select a tranquil wall paint. Cool blue and green are perfect for your bed room. Also spread a bed cover with subdued hue. These colors create a relaxing and comforting atmosphere in your bed room.
- Get the right kind of bed for you. Always go for a mattress with maximum comfort and firmness. Change pillows and see the difference.
- Make your room absolute dark to get some sleep. Use proper curtains and blinds to restrict street lights from entering your bed room. If pitch darkness creates problem, a zero watt night lamp would work.
- Keep alarm clocks away. At times, even its ticking sound might irritate your sleep.
- Try to avoid watching TV and working on computer in your bed room. Your bed room should be an exclusive place to relax and get intimate.
- Keep your bed room clean and airy. Keep the windows open and allow fresh air to flow inside.
Suffering from sleeplessness and want to know how to cure insomnia through alternative treatments? Well some of the most popular and effective alternative treatments which helps you eradicate sleeplessness are acupuncture and hypnosis. Also, yoga, aromatherapy, guided imagery, biofeedback, massages are equally good for improving sleeping disorders. There are many organizations and health clinics that are adept in alternative healing techniques and have benefited people at large. You can contact any such wellness center and make a difference to your life!
Under the guidance of a qualified practitioner, aromatherapy helps an individual to get a relaxing sleep. Prolonged usage of this therapy provides quality sleep to an individual thereby reducing stress and anxiety in the long run.
If you want to know how to cure insomnia through diet, these instructions will help you do so:
- Try to have dinner 3 hours before you hit the bed. Indigestion often causes insomnia.
- Also try to avoid drinking too much of water before going to bed. Frequent washroom visit will hamper your night’s sleep.
- Before you decide to sleep, go for a glass of lukewarm milk. It’s because dairy products are rich in amino acid which in turn provides you a deep sleep.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and coffee before bed time.
- Include magnesium in your diet as it promotes relaxation, soothes your nerves and helps you sleep. Intake dark leafy vegetables, fish, dry fruits, nuts and dark chocolate in your diet.
Don’t drain yourself in finding out ways to cure insomnia. Some very basic exercise and yoga sessions can help you cure insomnia. Sudarshan Kriya, a powerful yoga posture can aid you in sleeplessness. This exceptional breathing technique eradicates stress and relaxes the nervous system.
These simple yet powerful remedies show you the various ways of curing insomnia. No matter what, one should never accept a life devoid of sleep. Always remember that you deserve a better, fulfilling and quality life!